What are the National Academies
The National Academies (NAs) are Tennis Australia’s high performance environments that offer a comprehensive tennis training program to allow athletes to reach their full potential, with the ultimate vision of producing Grand Slam Champions.
Through world-class coaching, sport science and medicine, we foster successful professional athletic performance.
There are seven NAs:
Who are the National Academies for?
The NAs are for athletes who fulfil the entry criteria based on ranking, results and participation; and who have the ambition to become professional tennis players.
National Academy scholarship benefits
The benefits offered to NA athletes vary depending on whether the athletes are full or wildcard scholarship holders. The benefits include:
- Free coaching and training including skill development and planning support
- Assigned coach to lead the athlete’s tennis development
- Access to National Academy facilities and opportunities
- Educational planning and support
- Strength and conditioning programs and testing
- Medical, physiotherapy, psychology, nutrition and rehabilitation services provided by NA preferred service providers
- Access to professional team management via a Tour Coach and/or Tour Manager while on official TA Tours
- Subsidised flights when travelling on Tennis Australia International Tours Program, and to domestic pro circuits
How do I join a National Academy?
Athletes are selected according to the Athlete Development criteria. Athletes may also be wildcarded into a NA upon selection by the National Head Coach.
For athletes to maintain their position within the NA they are required to meet standards relating to performance, behaviour and attitude.
The Athlete Development criteria has been reviewed to remain as current as possible, reflecting the performances of today’s professional players that are ranked in the top 100.
Got a question?
Contact the NA Manager or Head Coach in your capital city:
Adelaide and NT: Milo Bradley [email protected]
Brisbane: Chris Mahony [email protected]
Melbourne: Alex Jago [email protected]
Perth: Tom George [email protected]
Sydney: Jaslyn Hewitt-Shehadie [email protected]
Canberra: Todd Larkham [email protected]
Tasmania: Simon Youl [email protected]
National Academies and education
All junior players attending a National Academy must participate in schooling, as recognised by the education department in their respective state.
Learn more about Tennis Australia’s education policy.
Who are the National Academy coaches?
|National Head Coaches||National Academy Managers||National Academy Coaches|
|Milo Bradley||Alex Jago||Adam Carey|
|Andrew Roberts||Tom George||Jarrad Bunt|
|Simon Youl||Chris Mahony||Mark Draper|
|Todd Larkham||Jaslyn Hewitt-Shehadie||Anthony Richardson|