Minister for Recreation, Sport and Racing Corey Wingard joined Tennis SA CEO Debbie Sterrey on Tuesday to launch construction of the Memorial Drive Centre Court stage two redevelopment.
The Minister and Ms Sterrey, along with Tennis SA President Kent Thiele, Vice-President Philip Roberts and four up-and-coming junior tennis players, were present to turn the sod on the project.
The Memorial Drive redevelopment stage two project includes:
- The demolition of the North Stand
- Construction of new Northern and Eastern Facilities linked by a concourse level, with enhanced patron amenities, food and beverage facilities
- Northern Facility to include a Media and Sports Technology Centre, with broadcast facilities, media lounge and space for high performance sports research and development
- Eastern Facility to be integrated with the Adelaide Oval Southern Plaza, incorporating high performance training facilities, premium multipurpose event and function spaces
- Northern and Eastern Facilities fully accessible to all levels
- Addition of rigging points on the roof and feature lighting.
“Tennis events in South Australia over the next decade are going to drive jobs and vibrancy in our city,” Minister Wingard said.
“It’s fantastic to see works getting underway just a few months after the funding was secured in last year’s State Budget.
“Stage Two of the Memorial Drive redevelopment will create a world class venue that can accommodate a range of sporting and entertainment events helping position SA as a premier sporting and event destination.”
Tennis SA CEO Debbie Sterrey is excited to see construction commence at Memorial Drive and the home of Tennis SA.
“We are thrilled to officially turn the sod on the $44 million stage two redevelopment of Memorial Drive,” Sterrey said.
“The redevelopment will continue the transformation of our venue and see it achieve its potential as a vibrant sporting, community, entertainment and innovation hub, whilst ensuring the venue’s heritage is retained for years to come.
“Demolition of the North Stand is nearing completion and we are excited to see the redevelopment take shape in the coming months.”
The upgrade will allow Memorial Drive to host a wider variety of community, sporting and entertainment events, as well as make the venue an attractive proposition for other high profile tennis events such as Davis Cup and Billie Jean King Cup (formerly Fed Cup).
The venue will be event ready for the Adelaide International in January 2022, with project completion expected in mid-2022.
For more information on the Memorial Drive Centre Court redevelopment, visit: http://bit.ly/2LO0AxS