After 21 years of service to tennis and the Chatswood Tennis Club (CTC), Mal Nicholson has decided to retire his position as President and Director on the Board. The CTC Board and Richard Price from Sydney Sport Management Group (SSMG), as well as the team from Tennis NSW would like to thank Mal for his passion and dedication to Chatswood Tennis.
During the COVID-19 crisis Mal collaborated with SSMG contributing significant hours working through the numerous operational challenges.
brings a robust and diplomatic debate to the table. He has recruited an
excellent Board and has implemented a strong governance framework and capital
works program” said Richard Price.
During his tenure Mal and the Board have ensured the Clubs financial sustainability and have consistently upgraded the facility which has resulted in growing the club’s membership from 80 to over 400 members.
In recent times Mal has worked with his Board to deliver:
- A new roof valued at approximately $100,000
- Ongoing delivery of a quality tennis court resurface program
- A growing number of activities to increase tennis participation
- A rolling maintenance program to ensure the facilities at the CTC are of the highest standard.
Mal has developed excellent relationships with key stakeholders, primarily:
- Sydney Sport Management Group
- Willoughby City Council which has enabled the club ongoing asset management support
- The various Australian Tennis Organisations, including Tennis Australia and Tennis NSW.
- CTC neighbouring property owners
- The members of the club
Finally, Mal was also instrumental in steering Chatswood Tennis Club to winning the 2018 NSW Club of the Year at the Tennis NSW Awards ceremony