Fifteen-year-old South Australian, Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz reached the final of the UTR Pro Tennis Series event in Brisbane on Sunday.
Kempenaers-Pocz overcame world No.132 Priscilla Hon (Qld) 6-4 4-6 [10-7] and Gabriella Da Silva Fick (NSW) 4-6 6-1 [10-7] in the round robin stage, before falling to world No.127 Lizette Cabrera (Qld) 4-6 6-1 [10-6] in the final.
Meanwhile, the third UTR Pro Tennis Series event in Adelaide will commence tomorrow, running from 28-31 July 2020.
After claiming his second title last week, Li Tu will once again lead the field with players vying for valuable prize money and to improve their Universal Tennis Rating ‘UTR’.
|UTR Pro Tennis Series – Adelaide Tournament 3|
|Li Tu (SA)||UTR 12.81|
|Edward Winter (SA)||UTR 12.58|
|Sean Van Rensburg (SA)||UTR 12.36|
|Lawrence Bataljin (SA)||UTR 11.96|
|Edward Vo (SA)||UTR 11.54|
|Josh Laka (SA)||UTR 11.45|
|Henry Lamchinniah (SA)||UTR 10.46|
|[WC] Connor Gibson (SA)||UTR 10.32|
The UTR Pro Tennis Series provides players with the opportunity to compete for $450,000 in prize money following the months-long suspension of the international tours due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and is a key opportunity for players to return to tournament play. Strict biosecurity measures will be in place at each event.
“Our congratulations to Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz on her fantastic run at the UTR Pro Tennis Series event in Brisbane last week,” Tennis SA CEO Debbie Sterrey said.
“At just 15 years of age, Charlotte continues to impress and these wins must be a wonderful confidence boost following the suspension of tournament play due to COVID-19.
“We are once again pleased to welcome the UTR Pro Tennis Series back to Adelaide this week and look forward to some great matches in the coming days.”
The first phase of the UTR Pro Tennis Series will run until August, with the possibility of extending further depending on the resumption of the global tours (ATP/WTA/ITF).
Order of Play – Tuesday 28 July 2020
Adelaide – Memorial Drive
All matches will be streamed via Tennis Australia’s YouTube channel here.
UTR Pro Tennis Series – Adelaide
UTR Pro Tennis Series SA Tournaments Calendar
Round 1: 5-8 July
Round 2: 19-22 July
Round 3: 28-31 July
Biosecurity, health and safety protocols
- Daily health and temperature checks for all on-site personnel
- Physical distancing of 1.5 metres
- Minimal personnel on site including no fans and ballkids, reduced linespeople
- Additional hygiene practices and measures in place, including encouraging frequent handwashing and use of hand sanitiser
- Thorough cleaning practices, including between matches
- Players will tap racquet instead of shaking hands
- Separate player benches and players encouraged to change ends on opposite sides of the court
- Players advised to bring own towels, food and drinks
- Players to spend minimal time onsite and encouraged to arrive, play and depart, not use showers within the venue and limit their time in any communal area, all in accordance with the AIS Framework for Rebooting Sport.
What is a UTR?
Universal Tennis Rating (UTR) is an international tennis rating system that connects millions of tennis players around the world to help them find better matches locally. UTR reflects a player’s current skill level based on head-to-head match scores, and rates all players across age, gender and nationality on the same 16-point scale. Every player can have a UTR – from the pros to juniors to social tennis players.