Starting today, tennis courts in South Australia will be accessible to more people following approval to increase capacity at tennis venues around the state.
The very nature of tennis allows players to be distanced from one another, allowing the sport to play an important role during the COVID-19 pandemic. Today’s announcement will give clubs the opportunity to increase their capacity for casual social play, court bookings and coaching.
Clubs will commence internal team and social competitions in the coming weeks, while Associations will look to begin their inter-club winter competitions, with Tennis SA Winter Pennant to commence on Saturday 13 June* following a nomination period.
Clubrooms can also now be opened for the use of toilet facilities.
“This is a massive accomplishment and all South Australians should be immensely proud of their response to the health advice these past few months,” South Australian Minister for Recreation, Sport and Racing Corey Wingard said.
“It’s because of their willingness to listen that our state is now one of the first jurisdictions in the world to lift restrictions on community sport.
“These are small but important first steps and so long as we continue to adhere to the expert’s advice there’s no doubt we’ll continue to be in an envious position.”
“We are thrilled to have received approval to increase the capacity at tennis venues around South Australia,” said Debbie Sterrey, Tennis SA CEO.
“We have seen many people take to tennis courts around the state over the past several weeks and we are aware of the positive impact this is having on health and wellbeing during these difficult times.
“Today’s announcement will allow play to recommence at all levels of the sport including competitions, with modifications in place to ensure the safety of all involved.
“This is a very encouraging step forward, but we must all continue to work together to ensure that we can stop the spread of COVID-19,” Sterrey added.
- Clubs open for casual social play and court bookings with increased capacity
- Clubs to commence internal team competitions and internal social competitions
- Associations to commence inter-club competitions, including Tennis SA Winter Pennant which will begin on Saturday 13 June
- Group activities (for example: coaching sessions) can include no more than 10 participants, plus one coach
- Multiple group activities can take place within the one venue
- Clubrooms can now be opened for the use of toilets only, with the use of any communal facilities to be minimised
- Density (one person per 4 square metres) and social distancing (1.5 metres between people) directions apply
For more information, please click here.
*Updated on Friday 15 May 2020