At the SA Player’s Club WTC Function on Sunday 6 January, three South Australian former tennis greats were inducted to the South Australian Legend’s Club.
Congratulations to Gwen Thiele, Peter McPherson and Grant Kerr on your induction!
The South Australian Legend’s Club was formed to recognise its past and present international champions of the game.
About 60 of the state’s former International, District, Pennant or State League tennis players from the past 70 years gathered for the special event.
Guests were also treated to a tour of the new Memorial Drive Redevelopment and a special visit from Henri Leconte, who shared some great stories about his playing career and what has changed in tennis over the years.
Thank you to all who attended. Stay tuned for the next SA Player’s Club function – or to be added to the email database please contact Tennis SA.
In case you missed it, click here to view photos from the event.
- Competed regularly in Australian Championships 1946-1965.
- Runner-up Womens Doubles with Nell Hopman 1955.
- Runner-up Mixed Doubles with Tom Warhurst.1952.
- Outstanding Pennant Player for more than 20 years.
- Manager of State Junior Teams e.g. Wilson Cup on multiple occasions.
Unfortunately Gwen is no longer with us, but close friend Jan MacDonald accepted the SA Legends’ Club Pin on her behalf.
- Competed in international standard events 1960-1968.
- Defeated Mark Cox and Wilhelm Bungert before losing to Bob Hewitt 3rd round Vic Champs 1962.
- Won 1st round Aust Champs and lost to Arthur Ashe in 2nd round 1967.
- Lost to Fred Stolle 3tight sets SA Champs 1966 and to Arthur Ashe 12-10 6-3 SA Champs 1965.
- Outstanding Pennant Player in SA and was regarded as the No2 behind the great Barry Phillips-Moore.
- Longtime supporter of SA Tennis as the State Manager of Nike and as a professional coach.
- Competed in international standard events 1956-1972 both in Australia and overseas.
- Won 1st round Aust Champs before losing to Warren Woodcock in 4 sets1959.
- Won 1st round SA Champs 1972 before losing to Cliff Letcher 7-6 6-3.
- Reached 3rd round Roland Garros qualis 1970.
- Won 1st round Chichester before losing to Ross Case in 3 sets.
- Another great Pennant Player and was competitive well into his 40s.
- Longtime supporter of SA Tennis both as a sponsor and manager of Pennant teams.
- Highly regarded as coach and mentor to leading players e.g. Kevin Swanson, Mike Ford.
L to R – Steve Baldas, Jan MacDonald and Barry McMillan