“As far as I'm concerned the year-end ranking for 2015 starts now and ends at the end of the year. Everyone kind of starts on zero.”
— Matthew Ebden, 2 Jan 2015
» Ebden eyes surge up tennis rankings
- Introduced to tennis by his parents, Anne and Charles.
- Played his first tournaments aged five.
- Idolised Andre Agassi, Stefan Edberg and Wayne Ferreira as a child, and later on, Pat Rafter and Roger Federer.
- At school, the natural sportsman participated in rugby union, cricket, hockey, athletics, swimming and cross-country.
- A former member of the AIS Pro Tour Program, he is a member of the Australian Davis Cup squad.
- Qualified for his first Grand Slam main draw at Australian Open 2010.
- Reached his first Challenger final at Kyoto in 2010.
- Finished 2011 ranked in the top 100 for the first time, at No. 86.
- Earned a nomination for ‘Most Improved Player of 2011’ following a rise of 110 places.
- Secured his first win over a top 10 player, beating then World No. 8 Mardy Fish on his way to the last 16 of the ATP Masters Indian Wells 2012.
- Won his ‘live rubber’ debut in Australia’s 2012 Davis Cup tie against the Republic of Korea in Brisbane.
- Favourite surfaces are hard and grass.
- Favourite tournament is the Australian Open.
- Preferred shot is the forehand.
- His next goal is to lift his first ATP World Tour trophy and to reach the World’s top 50.
- Currently trains in Perth and Melbourne.
- Nickname is “Matty”
- Speaks English, but also understands Afrikaans.
- Favourite foods are pasta and fillet steak.
- Favourite sporting team is the Wallabies.
- Enjoys all sports, computers, the beach, surfing and watching movies.
- If he wasn’t a tennis player he would probably be a lawyer as he enrolled in law/commerce at the University of WA but deferred to pursue tennis.
- Married long-time girlfriend, Kim, in November 2012.
Year-end singles ranking history
2013 Nottingham Challenger, Melbourne Challenger, Yokohama Challenger, Toyota Challenger
2010 Great Britain F16 ITF
2009 Australia F8 ITF; Australia F9 ITF; Australia F11 ITF
2008 Korea F2 ITF
2007 U.S.A F21 ITF
2013 Napa Challenger, Tiburon Challenger
2010 Japan Challenger
2009 Australia F1 ITF, Australia F10 ITF
Matthew Ebden in the news
Daria Gavrilova has surged into the top 50 following her semifinal exploits in Rome last week, while Thanasi Kokkinakis continued to rise after his first Challenger tournament…
With the latest release of the ATP rankings, Nick Kyrgios has all but cemented a seeding at Roland Garros while Thanasi Kokkinakis has cracked the top 100.
Sam Groth's victory at last week's ATP Challenger in Taipei has delivered him his best ever world ranking, while there were several rankings milestones this week for…
Sam Groth has capped an impressive week with victory at the ATP Santaizi Challenger in Taipei, while Gavin Van Peperzeel scored a career breakthrough at the Anning Challenger.