“It was the first time for us playing together. I've known Kevin since we were kids. We grew up playing junior tennis together. I was just really thankful that he was able to play through the doubles and the singles. It's a massive effort by him. I really owe it to him.”
— Matthew Ebden, 3 Mar 2014
» Ebden wins Acapulco doubles title
- Introduced to tennis by his parents, Anne and Charles.
- Played his first tournaments aged five.
- Idolised Andre Agassi, Stefan Edberg and Wayne Ferreira as a child, and later on, Pat Rafter and Roger Federer.
- At school, the natural sportsman participated in rugby union, cricket, hockey, athletics, swimming and cross-country.
- A former member of the AIS Pro Tour Program, he is a member of the Australian Davis Cup squad.
- Qualified for his first Grand Slam main draw at Australian Open 2010.
- Reached his first Challenger final at Kyoto in 2010.
- Finished 2011 ranked in the top 100 for the first time, at No. 86.
- Earned a nomination for ‘Most Improved Player of 2011’ following a rise of 110 places.
- Secured his first win over a top 10 player, beating then World No. 8 Mardy Fish on his way to the last 16 of the ATP Masters Indian Wells 2012.
- Won his ‘live rubber’ debut in Australia’s 2012 Davis Cup tie against the Republic of Korea in Brisbane.
- Favourite surfaces are hard and grass.
- Favourite tournament is the Australian Open.
- Preferred shot is the forehand.
- His next goal is to lift his first ATP World Tour trophy and to reach the World’s top 50.
- Currently trains in Perth and Melbourne.
- Nickname is “Matty”
- Speaks English, but also understands Afrikaans.
- Favourite foods are pasta and fillet steak.
- Favourite sporting team is the Wallabies.
- Enjoys all sports, computers, the beach, surfing and watching movies.
- If he wasn’t a tennis player he would probably be a lawyer as he enrolled in law/commerce at the University of WA but deferred to pursue tennis.
- Married long-time girlfriend, Kim, in November 2012.
Year-end singles ranking history
2013 Nottingham Challenger, Melbourne Challenger, Yokohama Challenger, Toyota Challenger
2010 Great Britain F16 ITF
2009 Australia F8 ITF; Australia F9 ITF; Australia F11 ITF
2008 Korea F2 ITF
2007 U.S.A F21 ITF
2013 Napa Challenger, Tiburon Challenger
2010 Japan Challenger
2009 Australia F1 ITF, Australia F10 ITF
Matthew Ebden in the news
Matt Ebden and Marinko Matosevic on Tuesday went down in their respective ATP claycourt tournaments in Europe.
Lleyton Hewitt has been knocked out of the US men's clay court championships in Houston, going down to American Sam Querrey in the second round.
Australians Lleyton Hewitt and Matt Ebden will kick off their 2014 claycourt seasons when they contest this week's US Men's Clay Court Championship in Houston, Texas.
Sam Stosur and Casey Dellacqua reached the third round, Matt Ebden pushed defending champ Andy Murray to three sets, and Lleyton Hewitt notched his 600th win in what was a solid…