The 12&U Girls Singles Main Draw event at the 2015 NSW Junior State Championships (Platinum JT) on the weekend was taken out by Queenslander Lara Walker. Walker won her early games convincingly but faced the number one seeded player, Anastasia Berezov in the semis with the match going to a thrilling third set 6-2 2-6 10-8. Walker went on to win the finals against Angelina Subotic Dordevic 6-1 6-3.
Walker who trains under Tim Low at Redland Bay Tennis Club has also started training with the National Academy Development Squad at the Queensland Tennis Centre.
Queensland Talent Development Manager, Clint Fyfe said, “Lara has improved her serve and forehand recently. She combined this with her excellent backhand, ability to stay calm and play consistently aggressive to be the stand-out 12/u girl at the tournament. Lara deserves the success. She trains hard, competes to the best of her ability and is respectful at all times. It’s exactly what we want to see from our young Queensland players.”
In total 35 Queensland athletes traveled to Sydney last week to compete in the championships. Other Queensland player highlights included:
- Philip Sekulic – semi-finalist 12&U Boys Singles
- Casey Hoole – semi-finalist 12&U Boys Singles
- Haru Sonton – runner up 12&U Boys Doubles
- Lara Walker – semi-finalist 12&U Girls Doubles
- Dane Sweeny – semi-finalist 14&U Boys Singles
- Jayden Court & Pat Harper – runner up 16&U Boys Doubles
- Olivia Gadecki – conso winner 16&Us Girls Singles
- Olivia Gadecki – semi-finalist 16&U Girls Doubles