Polmans returns to Canberra
Marc Polmans will contest the ACT Clay Court International #1 this week alongside Omar Jasika.
Marc Polmans will headline the action at the ACT Clay Court International #1 in Canberra this week after qualifying for the main draw and taking the No.2 seed mantle.
The teenager made a late decision to come home to Australia after missing the main draw cut for a series of ATP Challenger events in China. As a result, he was required to qualify for the first of two ITF Futures events in Canberra alongside third seed Omar Jasika.
“I just decided it was better to come back and get some more matches in here,” Polmans said. “And it’s nice to be back on the clay, I’ve always liked it.”
“I’ve already got a few matches in quallies as well, which is good because it’s been a while.”
Polmans is currently sitting at a near career-high world No.225 and has his eyes firmly set on making some deep runs over the next fortnight, at the same venue as his maiden ATP Challenger final appearance last November.
“It does bring back quite a few good memories,” he said. “I’ve played well here. I had a great run so I can draw on that to get a bit of confidence this time around.”
Polmans takes to the court on Wednesday for his opening encounter with American Nathan Pasha, alongside Canberra local James Frawley, who plays last week’s Mildura finalist, Bradley Mousley.
In first round action on Tuesday, Jasika made short work of wildcard Lucas Vuradin, while Steven de Waard also advanced with victory over Brazilian Fernando Romboli.
Meanwhile, Jake Delaney fell to Romboli’s compatriot, Thales Turini, and returning Queensland wildcard Jason Kubler lost to Japan’s Sora Fukuda.