Smith upsets Tomic in Newport
Australian world No.160 John-Patrick Smith has scored a his first ever ATP win by beating compatriot Bernard Tomic in Newport, while Matt Ebden qualified for the main draw.
Australian John-Patrick Smith recorded his maiden ATP victory on Monday, upsetting third-seeded countryman Bernard Tomic 6-3 7-5 in the first round of the Hall of Fame Championships in Newport.
Smith, ranked 156th, needed just 70 minutes to dispatch Tomic, taking 15 of 23 points off Tomic’s second serve and surrendering only one service break to the world number 25.
“It was a very tough match today,” said Smith. “It’s a great win.
“I’ve known him since I was a kid, we get along great. It’s always tough playing a friend out there.”
The Queenslander had been 0-5 in ATP matches after first-round losses this year to South African Kevin Anderson at Delray Beach and Frenchman Kenny De Schepper in five sets at Wimbledon.
Next up for Smith will be 166th-ranked American Jared Donaldson, who beat 125th-ranked compatriot Austin Krajicek 6-7(5) 6-3 6-2.
“It was tough to find a rhythm, and he was playing good,” said Tomic. “Full credit to him.”
Joining Smith in the main draw is Matt Ebden, who won his final-round qualifying match against Taiwan’s Jason Jung 7-6(5) 3-6 6-1.
Luke Saville, also attempting to qualify, fell at the final hurdle in straight sets to Croat Ante Pavic.
Ebden next takes on No.6 seed Sam Querrey in his opening main draw match.
Seventh-seeded Steve Johnson – a potential quarterfinal opponent for Smith and one of five seeded Americans slated to play this week – beat Michael Berrer of Germany 6-7(6) 6-1 6-2.
Two-time Newport champion and top-seeded John Isner, No.4-seeded Jack Sock, No.6 Sam Querrey and No.8 Tim Smyczek are scheduled to play their opening matches later this week.
The tournament is played in conjunction with induction ceremonies for the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Two-time major champion Amelie Mauresmo of France heads the 2015 class that’s scheduled to be enshrined during a centre-court ceremony before the semifinals on Saturday.
The 36-year old, who is now Andy Murray’s coach, won the Australian Open and Wimbledon in 2006 and spent 39 weeks at No.1 in the WTA rankings. Mauresmo, hired to work with Murray last year, is pregnant and unable to travel to the ceremony.
Joining Mauresmo will be David Hall of Australia, a six-time Paralympic medallist, and Nancy Jeffett, elected in the contributor category.