“My career will show I have the ability to beat the very best guys. I beat quite a few of the top top guys last year and other years, but I've also lost to them at times too."”
— Matthew Ebden, 16 Jan 2019
» Ebden plotting Nadal’s downfall
- Played his first tournaments at age five
- Idolised Andre Agassi, Stefan Edberg and Wayne Ferreira as a child, and later on, Pat Rafter and Roger Federer.
- At school, the natural sportsman participated in rugby union, cricket, hockey, athletics, swimming and cross-country.
- Qualified for his first Grand Slam main draw at Australian Open 2010.
- Finished 2011 ranked in the top 100 for the first time, at No. 86.
- Earned a nomination for ‘Most Improved Player of 2011’ following a rise of 110 places.
- Secured his first win over a top 10 player, beating then World No. 8 Mardy Fish on his way to the last 16 of the ATP Masters Indian Wells 2012.
- Won his ‘live rubber’ debut in Australia’s 2012 Davis Cup tie against the Republic of Korea in Brisbane.
- Favourite surfaces are hard and grass, favourite tournament is the Australian Open and favourite shot is the forehand
- His goal is to lift his first ATP World Tour trophy and to reach the world’s top 50.
- Reached his first ATP final in 2017 in Newport
- Speaks English, but also understands Afrikaans.
- Favourite foods are pasta and fillet steak.
- Favourite sporting team is the Wallabies.
- Enjoys all sports, computers, the beach, surfing and watching movies.
- If he wasn’t a tennis player he would probably be a lawyer as he enrolled in law/commerce at the University of WA but deferred to pursue tennis.
- Married long-time girlfriend, Kim, in November 2012.
Year-end singles ranking history
2018 Busan Challenger
2017 Toyota Challenger
2015 Surbiton Challenger, Traralgon Challenger
2013 Nottingham Challenger, Melbourne Challenger, Yokohama Challenger, Toyota Challenger
2010 Great Britain F16 ITF
2009 Australia F8 ITF; Australia F9 ITF; Australia F11 ITF
2008 Korea F2 ITF
2007 U.S.A F21 ITF
2017 Newport ATP
2015 Ilkley Challenger
2013 Napa Challenger, Tiburon Challenger
2010 Japan Challenger
2009 Australia F1 ITF, Australia F10 ITF
Matthew Ebden in the news
No.12 seed Ash Barty will lead a contingent of four Aussie women at this fortnight's Miami Open, while Alex Bolt and Alexei Popyrin are set for ATP qualifying.
Ajla Tomljanovic makes her way into the second round at Indian Wells after a straight-sets dismissal of Alize Cornet, before Jordan Thompson won a three-hour-plus battle to reach…
Daria Gavrilova snaps a seven-match losing streak with an impressive win over Dayana Yastremska at Indian Wells, earning a chance at revenge on Mihaela Buzarnescu in the second…
Alex Bolt and Alexei Popyrin both won their final-round qualifying matches in straight sets to join five of their countrymen in the main draw at Indian Wells.