“I've been building up my game the last six months. I love it here on the grass. I couldn't be happier.”
— Matthew Ebden, 23 Jul 2017
» Ebden continues stunning week, reaches Newport final
- Played his first tournaments at age five
- Idolised Andre Agassi, Stefan Edberg and Wayne Ferreira as a child, and later on, Pat Rafter and Roger Federer.
- At school, the natural sportsman participated in rugby union, cricket, hockey, athletics, swimming and cross-country.
- Qualified for his first Grand Slam main draw at Australian Open 2010.
- Finished 2011 ranked in the top 100 for the first time, at No. 86.
- Earned a nomination for ‘Most Improved Player of 2011’ following a rise of 110 places.
- Secured his first win over a top 10 player, beating then World No. 8 Mardy Fish on his way to the last 16 of the ATP Masters Indian Wells 2012.
- Won his ‘live rubber’ debut in Australia’s 2012 Davis Cup tie against the Republic of Korea in Brisbane.
- Favourite surfaces are hard and grass, favourite tournament is the Australian Open and favourite shot is the forehand
- His goal is to lift his first ATP World Tour trophy and to reach the world’s top 50.
- Reached his first ITF final in 2017 in Newport
- Speaks English, but also understands Afrikaans.
- Favourite foods are pasta and fillet steak.
- Favourite sporting team is the Wallabies.
- Enjoys all sports, computers, the beach, surfing and watching movies.
- If he wasn’t a tennis player he would probably be a lawyer as he enrolled in law/commerce at the University of WA but deferred to pursue tennis.
- Married long-time girlfriend, Kim, in November 2012.
Year-end singles ranking history
2015 Surbiton Challenger, Traralgon Challenger
2013 Nottingham Challenger, Melbourne Challenger, Yokohama Challenger, Toyota Challenger
2010 Great Britain F16 ITF
2009 Australia F8 ITF; Australia F9 ITF; Australia F11 ITF
2008 Korea F2 ITF
2007 U.S.A F21 ITF
2017 Newport ATP
2015 Ilkley Challenger
2013 Napa Challenger, Tiburon Challenger
2010 Japan Challenger
2009 Australia F1 ITF, Australia F10 ITF
Matthew Ebden in the news
Destanee Aiava, Lizette Cabrera and John-Patrick Smith have joined Akira Santillan in the second round of US Open qualifying after wins in New York on Wednesday.
Australian Akira Santillan took a step closer to the main draw of the US Open with victory on Tuesday at Flushing Meadows.
In just the sixth tournament of his singles comeback, Thanasi Kokkinakis advanced to the final in Los Cabos - and has since soared in the ATP rankings.
Thanasi Kokkinakis has reached his first ATP-level quarterfinal with a nail-biting victory over Canadian Peter Polansky on Wednesday in Los Cabos.