The final concept outlines players’ ability to change their tactics during the match depending on their current success rate.
Junior players need to understand there are different ways they can change the play by altering their shot selection. This is an important skill for all players to understand.
The following are some different ways players can effect tactical change during a match:
- more or less topspin
- use of the slice backhand
- more height over the net
- stay on the baseline longer
- vary speed of the ball
- attack only on very short balls
- hit your first serve as if it was your second serve
- take more time between points (control the tempo).
These tactical concepts should be utilised in your every day coaching of both beginner and competitive players. These tactics can be incorporated during different sessions according to the session objectives.