Make your move Down Under!

Australia is searching for experienced tennis coaches from around the world. There is currently a range of opportunities being advertised on our Coach Employment Page. We encourage you to look at the opportunities on this page and reach out to the contact listed on the advertisement should you have further questions.

Need support?

We have compiled some information below which may assist in making your move down under. Please note that this is introductory information only and you should conduct your own research and/or seek advice from a professional such as a migration agent.


The below is a summary of the visas which tennis coaches may be eligible for, however, we again encourage you to do your own research and/or seek independent professional advice.

Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408) – Sporting Activities

With this visa you can:

  • play, coach, adjudicate or instruct for an Australian team, or do high-level sports training with a sporting organisation
  • stay for up to 2 years with members of the family unit
  • apply for the visa in or outside Australia but not in immigration clearance

You must:

  • have a sponsor or supporter
  • have a contract and a letter of support from a peak sporting body
  • not work outside your specified sporting activities


For more information, including greater detail about visa conditions and eligibility requirements, please visit the Federal Government Home Affairs website.

Temporary Skills Shortage (subclass 482) – Medium-Term Stream

This visa enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in skilled workers where employers can’t source an appropriately skilled Australian worker.

Note: Before you can apply for this visa your employer must be approved as a sponsor and must have nominated you for a skilled occupation position.

With this visa you can:

  • work in Australia for up to 4 years or up to 5 years if you are a Hong Kong passport holder
  • study (you won’t receive government assistance)
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid
  • if eligible, apply for permanent residence


You must:

  • be nominated to work in an occupation on the list of eligible medium and long-term skilled occupations
  • have at least 2 years relevant work experience in your nominated occupation or a related field
  • have a relevant skills assessment if this is required for your occupation
  • work only for your sponsor or associated entity, unless you are exempt
  • meet minimum standards of English language proficiency unless you are exempt from needing to show this


For more information, including greater detail about visa conditions and eligibility requirements please visit the Federal Government Home Affairs website. 


Tennis Australia Coaching Pathway and Recognition of Current Competence

You may be wondering if your current coach qualifications/certificates are recognised in Australia. Below you will find links to two key information pages. The Tennis Australia Coaching pathway outlines our current coach education which is recognised at the Gold Level by the ITF. Additionally you can find information about the Tennis Australia Recognition of Current Competence (RCC) process which you may wish to explore further to seek recognition of your previous coach education and experience.

Tennis Australia Coaching Pathway

Recognition of Current Competence (RCC) 


Information for employers

Are you a coach employing or intending to employ a visa holder?

Please find below fact sheet from The Migration Agency about the Temporary Skilled Shortage Visa (Subclass 482). This includes more details about the sponsorship process.

Fact Sheet – Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)

Fact Sheet – Temporary Activities Visa – Subclass 408 (Sporting Activities)


Coach Employment Vacancies
Find out more
Tennis Australia Coaching Pathway
Find out more