“I have had some pain in my left wrist for the last few days. I tried to practice yesterday and felt a lot of discomfort and unfortunately I can't take to the court today. It's difficult as I've rarely had to withdraw from a match in my career.”
— Samantha Stosur, 19 May 2016
» Strasbourg: injury forces Stosur’s withdrawal
- Started playing tennis aged eight when a friend gave her a racquet for Christmas
- Practiced with her brother, Daniel, who upon realising she had talent, convinced their parents, Dianne and Tony, to pay for coaching
- Went on her first tour aged 13, competing in the World Youth Cup in Jakarta, Indonesia
- Joined the Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS) in 2001 at 14 years of age
- Joined the Australian Institute of Sport at 16
- Made her Fed Cup debut in 2003
- Member of the Australian Olympic team in 2004
- Reached the No.1 ranking in doubles in February 2006 having claimed a series of titles with Lisa Raymond
- Contracted Lyme disease in 2007 and, having spent 61-consecutive weeks ranked as the No.1 doubles player in the world, was forced to end her season prematurely
- Rejoined the WTA Tour in June 2008
- Member of the Australian Olympic team in 2008
- Claimed her maiden WTA title in Osaka in 2009
- Became the first player since 2000 to beat Justine Henin and Serena Williams in the same Grand Slam event (Roland Garros 2010), as well as ending Henins’s 27-match winning streak in Paris
- Won her first major title at US Open 2011, beating Serena Williams 6-2 6-3 in the final
- Member of the Australian Olympic team in 2012
- In 2013, won the Carlsbad and Osaka trophies, making it the first time she had ever won multiple WTA titles in a single season
- 2013 marked her fifth-straight top 20 season (ended the year at No.18)
- Defended a WTA title for the first time in her career in 2014, when she captured the Osaka crown, marking her third victory at the Japanese event
- Sporting hero is surfer Layne Beachley.
- When she’s not playing tennis, Sam enjoys spending time at the beach and relaxing.
- Her favourite sports team is the Gold Coast Titans.
Year-end singles ranking history
2015 Strasbourg, Bad Gastein
2013 Carlsbad, Osaka
2011 US Open
2001 Ibaraki ITF, Osaka ITF, Kyoto ITF, Cairns ITF
2013 Moscow, WTA Tournament of Champions
2012 Doha, Moscow
2011 Rome, Toronto, Osaka
2010 Stuttgart, Roland Garros
2009 Los Angeles
2005 Gold Coast, Sydney
2002 Rockhampton ITF
2001 Australia ITF, Kugayama ITF
Samantha Stosur in the news
Nick Kyrgios, Sam Stosur and Jordan Thompson will aim to continue their winning ways in Paris on Day 4 of the French Open at Roland Garros.
Down a break in the third set of her match against Misaki Doi, Sam Stosur reeled off six of the next seven games to book a slot in the second round at Roland Garros.
Six Aussies will take to the court on Tuesday on a banner Day 3 for the green-and-gold at Roland Garros.
Sam Stosur's good form was halted when bad light suspended play on Monday at Roland Garros, while John Millman goes into tomorrow tied at one set apiece with John Isner.