- Born30 March 1984
- Birth PlaceBrisbane, Queensland
- LivesGold Coast, Queensland
- Height172 cm
- Pro Since1999
“I think I put myself in a position in that second set and wasn’t able to, I guess, finish it off, which for sure is disappointing.”
— Samantha Stosur, 19 Apr 2014
» Petkovic puts Germany in the driver’s seat
- Started playing tennis aged eight when a friend gave her a racquet for Christmas.
- Practiced with her brother, Daniel, who upon realising she had talent, convinced their parents, Dianne and Tony, to pay for coaching.
- Went on her first tour aged 13, competing in the World Youth Cup in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Joined the Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS) in 2001 at 14 years of age.
- Joined the Australian Institute of Sport at 16.
- Made her Fed Cup debut in 2003.
- Member of the Australian Olympic team in 2004.
- Reached the No.1 ranking in doubles in February 2006 having claimed a series of titles with Lisa Raymond.
- Contracted Lyme disease in 2007 and, having spent 61-consecutive weeks ranked as the No.1 doubles player in the world, was forced to end her season prematurely.
- Rejoined the WTA Tour in June 2008.
- Member of the Australian Olympic team in 2008.
- Claimed her maiden WTA title in Osaka in 2009.
- Became the first player since 2000 to beat Justine Henin and Serena Williams in the same Grand Slam event (Roland Garros 2010), as well as ending Henins’s 27-match winning streak in Paris.
- Won her first major title at US Open 2011, beating Serena Williams 6-2 6-3 in the final.
- Member of the Australian Olympic team in 2012
- Sporting hero is surfer Layne Beachley.
- When she’s not playing tennis, Sam enjoys spending time at the beach and relaxing.
- Her favourite sports team is the Gold Coast Titans.
Year-end singles ranking history
2013 Carlsbad, Osaka
Ibaraki ITF, Osaka ITF, Kyoto ITF, Cairns ITF
2013 Moscow, WTA Tournament of Champions
Rome, Toronto, Osaka
Stuttgart, Roland Garros
Gold Coast, Sydney
Australia ITF, Kugayama ITF
Samantha Stosur in the news
Andrea Petkovic and Angelique Kerber gave Germany the dream start against Australia.
UPDATE: Australian captain Alicia Molik has no qualms admitting the obvious – it is all uphill if her team is to reach this years Fed Cup final after Angelique Kerber's…
UPDATE: German Andrea Petkovic has upset Australia's Sam Stosur 6-1 7-6(7) in the first rubber of the World Group semifinal in Brisbane on Saturday.
Australia's No.1 Sam Stosur spearheads her nation's attempt to reach its first Fed Cup final in 21 years this weekend. She took time out to speak with tennis.com.au.