- Learned how to play tennis under the tuition of her father, Ivan, a professional tennis coach, aged seven.
- Played her first WTA main draw at Tashkent, Uzbekistan in 2000.
- Claimed her maiden ITF Futures title in Maglie, Italy in 2001.
- Reached the final of Wimbledon Mixed doubles in 2003, partnering Israeli Andy Ram.
- Broke into the world’s top 100 in 2006, reaching the US Open third round and the second round at both Wimbledon and the French Open.
- Started representing Australia in 2008.
- Represented Australia at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, winning Gold medals in singles and doubles.
- Completed fifth straight season inside the WTA top 100 in 2010.
- Made her Australian Fed Cup team debut in 2010.
- Represented Australia at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
- Favourite shot is forehand.
- Considers her dad, Ivan, to be the most influential person in her career.
- Speaks English and Russian.
- Younger sister, Arina, also plays on the WTA tour.
- Performed gymnastics as a child and currently enjoys swimming.
- Hobbies include reading books, watching movies and going out to nightclubs.
- She finds traveling around the world gruelling, but loves meeting people from different cultures.
- Favourite book is Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.
- Favourite city is Moscow.
- Favourite actor is Nicolas Cage.
Year-end singles ranking history