SunSmart Club Super Days Funding
Tennis West has secured a 2018/2019 Healthway – Message Promotion Sponsorship to deliver the Access to Tennis Project, which is designed to address barriers to participation, by providing opportunities for Western Australians to choose a healthy lifestyle and increase their physical activity by participating in tennis through a number of tennis initiatives. A key component to the Access to Tennis project, which is delivered by our affiliated club network, is SunSmart Club Super Days.
The SunSmart Club Super Days funding program is available to support our Metropolitan and Regional tennis clubs in coordinating and delivering an event that invites the local community into the club. A key focus of this program is to engage with clubs and encourage them to provide accessible, healthy, welcoming environments, which are thriving community hubs that people to visit. By making our sport more accessible, we aim to contribute to the growth in tennis participation at local clubs.
Clubs are invited to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) for funding to assist in delivering a SunSmart Club Super Day. The funding scope is between $500 – $1000 (plus GST, if applicable) per EOI, and all EOI’s will be assessed on their merit. Successful clubs will be notified, and the funding will be paid following the conclusion of the event and receipt of the final report and all supporting documents.
The philosophy of SunSmart is to protect our members and supporters from the harmful effects of the sun throughout the year. SunSmart’s aim is to prevent and minimise the adverse effects of UV through effective skin cancer prevention. SunSmart’s objectives are to: increase awareness and understanding of the SunSmart health message and strategies, to encourage behaviour change leading to good health and to facilitate change to create healthy environments. SunSmart’s key messages are:
- When the UV Index is 3 or above – be SunSmart.
- UV – it all adds up. Anywhere you go UV will damage unprotected skin. And it just keeps adding up.
- Protect yourself in 5 ways from skin cancer – Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek and Slide.
- Be SunSmart – visit myUV.com.au for your UV forecast.
- WA has amongst the highest skin cancer rates in Australia. More than 70,000 people will be diagnosed with skin cancer and around 200 deaths are attributable to skin cancer each year in Western Australia. Treatment of skin cancer costs WA more than $50 million per year.
- The good news is that skin cancer is largely preventable by being SunSmart.
- Being SunSmart is a simple and effective way to reduce your risk of developing skin cancer.
- Increase access to local Tennis West Affiliated clubs, by providing welcoming and inclusive clubs
- Increase awareness and the profile of Tennis and encourage participation at local clubs
- Provide opportunities for participation at all levels through events, community days, targeted programs, competitions, court hire, coaching programs and family days etc
- Strengthen the link/pathway between schools and local clubs
- Provide opportunities for Western Australians to choose a healthy lifestyle through tennis
- To increase awareness and understanding of the SunSmart heath message through tennis participants and spectators
- Encourage behaviour change at tennis clubs that lead to good health and facilitate structural and policy changes to create healthy tennis club environments
Who can apply?
- Tennis West Affiliated Metropolitan Clubs
- Tennis West Affiliated Regional Clubs
- Regional Tennis Zones
- Tennis Australia Coach Members
What can funding be used for?
We’re looking for innovative and engaging events that will drive awareness and participation. We’ve listed a few ideas below to get you started, but we’d also love to see your creativity in planning interesting, out-of-the-box events.
- Community Activation
- School to Club link event
- Hot Shots Community Play program (clubs without a TA Coach Member)
- Inclusion & Diversity event
- Club Tournament or Event
- Club Come & Try Day / Family Day
- Accessing a TA Coach Member to deliver a coaching program/event
- Book A Court Launch event
- Corporate Event – engage local business
What can funding not be used for?
- Facilities upgrades
- Member Only Day
- Club Open Day (Season Opener)
- Individual membership fees
- Prize money/trophies
- Exclusive naming rights of the event, eg. SunSmart Come & Try Tennis Day.
- Event must be open to the local community, with the aim of improving access to the club, and increasing participation (no members only events)
- All posters, flyers, social media posts relating to the event must include the SunSmart logo (provided by Tennis West)
- SunSmart promotional material include signage (provided by Tennis West) must be displayed and visible at all times during the event.
- All participants must be ‘SunSmart’ eg. Wearing hats, applying sunscreen, etc.
- All event’s must be smoke free
What is the application process?
- Read all of the information supplied to ensure you are aware of the requirements and eligibility
- Plan an engaging event and submit your EOI and supporting documentation a minimum of 21 days prior to your proposed event
- Your application will be reviewed and responded to accordingly
- If your application is successful:
- Run your event, keeping your PL informed so they can assist you as needed
- After the event, submit a final report, photos and an invoice to Tennis West within 28 days following the event. Funding will only be paid upon receipt of all of these items.
- If your application is unsuccessful:
- Don’t despair! Rethink your event application – you can submit another application
In order to be eligible for SunSmart funding, clubs must:
- Be a current and financial affiliate of Tennis West
- Agree to register club members in My Tennis on an ongoing basis;
- Ensure coaches are Tennis Australia Coach Members
- Deliver ANZ Tennis Hot Shots program at the venue (clubs with coaches)
To be considered for SunSmart funding, please include the following in your EOI (use as headings):
- Brief description of event including approximate number of participants and spectators
- Proposed budget with a breakdown of income and expenses. (It is acceptable to show a profit.)
- Innovative ideas on how your club will promote the SunSmart message
- Benefits to your tennis community as a result of this event
- Additional information to enhance your proposal
Please attach the following items with your EOI:
- The EOI Form with all details completed
- Club Health Policy, which must meet the minimum requirements outlined at https://www.healthway.wa.gov.au/policies/minimum-health-policy-requirements-for-sponsored-organisations
- SunSmart Policy (template available from Tennis West if required)
Funding will be awarded on an ongoing basis for events held in the 2018/2019 Financial Year, however, your EOI Application must be received by Tennis West no later than 21 days prior to your proposed event.
|The Expression of Interest form can be downloaded here.|
|View Event Examples here.|
|A sample SunSmart Policy can be accessed here.|