The Super 10s is a competition for the best 10 and under tennis players in the State of WA. The competition commences with a Challenge Day where children are evaluated by managers on court. From the Challenge Day, the best 16 boys and 16 girls are selected and these players are divided into 4 teams of 4 players. The teams are assigned a team manager who will be on court with them throughout the season to provide advice and support.
The competition lasts 4 weeks per season. There are 3 round robin matches and one final match for placings. There are two seasons a year with the first season to be played in Term 2 and the second season to be played in Term 4. The best 4 players across both seasons will be selected to play in the “Talent Tens” competition in Melbourne in January during the second week of the Australian Open.
Players thinking about registering for the Challenge Day should consider the following before signing up for the Day. The athlete should be able to:
- Rally at least 15 shots up and down the middle of the court.
- Serve with a variety of spin and pace.
- Be competent at hitting slice and topspin.
- Be able to move the ball around the court with purpose.
- Have a good attitude on court by showing respect to the game and to their opponent.
In addition to the Challenge Day, players will be selected based on results in tournaments and results in League matches. Players who do not compete in either League matches or tournaments will not be considered for the Super 10s competition. Please find a list of tournaments that we encourage players to participate in before season 1 of 2018:
- Mt Lawley WA State Grasscourt
- 2018 Brixton Tennis Summer Junior Open
- 2018 Perth Open JT Gold + 10’s
- 2018 Nedlands AMT and Junior Classic
- 2018 South Perth Junior Open 2018
- 2018 Midland Open and Junior Tournament
- 2018 HEAD Applecross Junior Open
- 2018 Busselton Junior
- 2018 Dalkeith Easter Junior Fast4 Tournament
- 2018 City of Joondalup Junior Hardcourt Tournament
- 2018 Hensman Park Gold Juior Tournment 2018
- 2018 North Beach Junior Classic
- 2018 CBH Country Championships JT
The format of the competition is identical to the Fast 4 format with players playing first to 4 games. All ties will each contain a singles and doubles rubber of 50 minutes in duration. Players warm up together before the start of the tie under the guidance of their team managers before commencing their match.
As part of the Super 10s season Tennis Australia will invite parents to be part of an off court parent education session administered by one of our Tennis Australia contract staff. Heather McGregor-Bayne from Total Leader and Coach Solutions Australia presented to the parents of the recent Super 10s season on “Travelling the Pathway to Excellence: Psychological Characteristics to Support the Journey”.
The Super 10s competition has been one of the most successful competitions across the country. Many players who are dominating the Australian Junior tennis scene participated in at least one Super 10s season when they were younger.
For those who would like to register for the upcoming season of the Super 10’s, the registration link will be available in early February. Please check again then.
For more information please contact: Damien Ward, Talent Manager-WA, [email protected] or 0466411591.