WOMEN LEADERS IN TENNIS PROGRAM
Tennis is committed to embracing diversity by making our sport welcoming, safe and inclusive for everyone.
Everyone should have the opportunity to be included and engaged through tennis in a way that is positive and meaningful for them.
Our vision is that there are no limits for women and girls on and off the court.
While Tennis is leading the way with significant achievements over the past 50 years, such as being the leading professional sport for women, equal prizemoney and strong representation on the Tennis Australia and Member Association Boards, there is more work to be done. Women are underrepresented in community leadership with just 26% of club presidents being women.
It is important women take on leadership roles to ensure women and girls have an equal voice and can influence decision making at the community level on and off the court.
Tennis is committed to increasing and supporting women leaders in tennis. To achieve this, we are providing an opportunity for women in the community to complete the Women Leaders in Tennis (WLIT) program. Program graduates will gain a vast range of learning and experiences within the leadership domain as well as mentoring and support.
Tennis West is again offering the Women Leaders in Tennis Program (WLIT). Program graduates will gain a vast range of learning and experiences within the leadership domain as well as mentoring and support.
Objectives of the WLIT Program
- Ensure an equal voice for women
- Build the leadership knowledge, skills and confidence of current and prospective community leaders
- Create a network of women community leaders both locally and nationally
- To increase participation of women and girls in community leadership roles in clubs
- To recruit and retain women community leaders.
This program is designed for current and prospective women community leaders who may be:
- In paid or volunteer roles in tennis clubs/venues across the country
- Club volunteers, community activators, program/event leaders or club committee members
- Senior club leaders (i.e., Club President, Coach).
- Be aged 18 years or over
- Identify as a woman
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent residence status.
- Provide a Working With Children Check and sign a Member Protection Declaration
- Currently involved in a paid or volunteer capacity for a local affiliated Tennis club/venue
- Have nomination from relevant personnel (eg. club president, committee member or manager/supervisor)
- Is not a current employee at Tennis Australia or Member Associations.
Tennis is excited to provide this four-month program combining face-to-face group sessions, self-paced interactive online learning (approximately 5hrs per month), and hands on activities. Supported with ongoing mentoring, participants will build their confidence and competence as community tennis leaders.
- 30 July 2023, 9am – 4.30pm, Day 1 face to face workshop, State Tennis Centre
- 23 August 2023, 7pm – 8.30pm, Online interactive session 1**
- 20 September 2023, 7pm – 8pm, Online interactive session 2**
- 18 October 2023, 7pm – 8pm, Online interactive session 3**
- 19 November 2023, 9am – 4.30pm, Final face to face workshop (and last day of the course), State Tennis Centre
*Please note: Online sessions will be recorded and can be viewed at a later date if you are unable to attend.
This program is fully subsided. The participant will not incur any cost.
***This program is valued at $4,000 . No payment will be required for successful candidates.
Regional Travel Subsidy
We are committed to improving access for current and prospective women leaders in regional areas. Eligible women will be able to access a travel subsidy to offset the travel and accommodation costs associated with completing the program. If you wish to apply please tick ‘yes’ when prompted in the application process.
The selection panel will consist of Tennis West personnel. Successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified in writing. If no suitable applications are received during the application period, Tennis reserves the right not to offer the program. Decisions regarding acceptance into the program will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. Note: There are limited positions available for each Women Leaders in Tennis program.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Applications for 2023 are now open. If you would like to express your interest please click here.
If you have any questions please contact:
Women and Girls Coordinator