“We're going to go out there and give it our best shot,” he said. “I think we've got a good chance”
— James Duckworth, 2 Mar 2020
» Team dream for in-form Duckworth
- Took up tennis aged seven and his whole family, including father, David, sister, Kate, and brother, Nick, all play
- His grandmother, Beryl Penrose, won the Australian Open singles and doubles in 1955
- Member of the Australia’s Junior Davis Cup team, that competed in the finals in Mexico in 2008
- In 2010, reached the Roland Garros junior semifinals and Australian Open junior quarterfinals
- Secured his maiden ITF Futures title in Poland in 2011
- Won his first ATP World Tour match at the 2012 Brisbane International, beating Frenchman Nicolas Mahut in round one
- Made his Grand Slam debut at Australian Open 2012, reaching the second round.
- Came through qualifying round to reach main draw at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in back-to-back years (2013 and 2014)
- Cracked ATP top 100 on 23 March 2015
- Goal is to reach the highest level in the sport, following in the footsteps of his hero, Andy Murray, who he says “is an extremely clever tennis player with a vast amount of talent to back it up”. Other idols are Lleyton Hewitt and Pat Rafter
- Dreams of representing Australia in Davis Cup
- Favourite surface is fast clay, favourite shot is the serve and favourite tournament is the Australian Open
- Best memory in tennis so far is playing Junior Davis Cup for Australia
- Nickname is ‘Ducks’.
- Studying a commerce degree at Deakin University.
- Hobbies include surfing, table tennis, cricket, soccer and hanging with his mates.
- If he weren’t a tennis player he would be a rugby league player for Newcastle Knights.
- His family supports the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
Year-end singles ranking history
2020 Bengaluru Challenger
2019 Bangkok Challenger, Baotou Challenger, Playford Challenger, Pune Challenger
2018 Cary Challenger
2016 China F6 ITF, Bangkok Challenger, Canberra Challenger, Toyota Challenger
2014 Lexington Challenger, Charlottesville Challenger
2013 Bundaberg F5 ITF, Chile F3 ITF
2011 Poland F1 ITF, Poland F4 ITF, Italy F17 ITF, Italy F23 ITF
2019 Yokkaichi Challenger, Las Vegas Challenger
2018 Turkey F22 ITF
2016 Kobe Challenger
2015 Kolkata Challenger
2014 Santiago Challenger
2013 Melbourne F1 ITF, Lexington Challenger
2011 Poland F2 ITF, Italy F16 ITF
James Duckworth in the news
World No.83 James Duckworth shares how he is coping with the tour suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
An exceptional start to the 2020 season for James Duckworth demonstrates the power of never giving up on your dreams.
The Australian Davis Cup team share their thoughts after a hard-fought 3-1 victory over Brazil in Adelaide.
Despite a gallant effort from Aussie pairing James Duckworth and John Peers, Brazil claim the doubles in the Davis Cup qualifying tie in Adelaide.