“There are definitely better draws out there, but I've been injured for such a long period of time that to be honest I don't really mind so much.”
— James Duckworth, 3 Jul 2018
» Plucky Duckworth back at Wimbledon
- Took up tennis aged seven and his whole family, including father, David, sister, Kate, and brother, Nick, all play
- His grandmother, Beryl Penrose, won the Australian Open singles and doubles in 1955
- Member of the Australia’s Junior Davis Cup team, that competed in the finals in Mexico in 2008
- In 2010, reached the Roland Garros junior semifinals and Australian Open junior quarterfinals
- Secured his maiden ITF Futures title in Poland in 2011
- Won his first ATP World Tour match at the 2012 Brisbane International, beating Frenchman Nicolas Mahut in round one
- Made his Grand Slam debut at Australian Open 2012, reaching the second round.
- Came through qualifying round to reach main draw at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in back-to-back years (2013 and 2014)
- Cracked ATP top 100 on 23 March 2015
- Goal is to reach the highest level in the sport, following in the footsteps of his hero, Andy Murray, who he says “is an extremely clever tennis player with a vast amount of talent to back it up”. Other idols are Lleyton Hewitt and Pat Rafter
- Dreams of representing Australia in Davis Cup
- Favourite surface is fast clay, favourite shot is the serve and favourite tournament is the Australian Open
- Best memory in tennis so far is playing Junior Davis Cup for Australia
- Nickname is ‘Ducks’.
- Studying a commerce degree at Deakin University.
- Hobbies include surfing, table tennis, cricket, soccer and hanging with his mates.
- If he weren’t a tennis player he would be a rugby league player for Newcastle Knights.
- His family supports the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
Year-end singles ranking history
2016 China F6 ITF, Bangkok Challenger, Canberra Challenger, Toyota Challenger
2014 Lexington Challenger, Charlottesville Challenger
2013 Bundaberg F5 ITF, Chile F3 ITF
2011 Poland F1 ITF, Poland F4 ITF, Italy F17 ITF, Italy F23 ITF
2018 Turkey F22 ITF
2016 Kobe Challenger
2015 Kolkata Challenger
2014 Santiago Challenger
2013 Melbourne F1 ITF, Lexington Challenger
2011 Poland F2 ITF, Italy F16 ITF
James Duckworth in the news
Jordan Thompson defeats compatriot James Duckworth in the opening round, as Bernard Tomic and Alex Bolt qualify.
The grass court season continues for a large group of Aussie men who have headed to Newport, Rhode Island for the ATP Hall of Fame Open.
Nick Kyrgios wins a serve-fest against the dangerous Denis Istomin while Matt Ebden, Alex De Minaur and Bernard Tomic also scored impressive victories on Tuesday at Wimbledon.
Returning to Wimbledon for the first time since 2015, James Duckworth has drawn fourth seed Alexander Zverev.