Millman falls to Zverev in five-set thriller
John Millman fights back from two sets down before losing in the deciding set to fifth seed Alexander Zverev.
John Millman came close to pulling off a stunning upset from two sets down against fifth seed Alexander Zverev before the German clinched it in the decider.
Zverev made a strong start in windy conditions at Roland Garros on Tuesday but was pegged back by the gritty Australian to force a fifth set.
However, it was the 22-year-old who prevailed with the only break in game eight as he ran out a 7-6(4) 6-3 2-6 6-7(5) 6-3 after four hours and eight minutes.
“It was unbelievable how he fought back,” said Zverev, who won three five-set matches in a row last year on his way to the quarterfinals.
“I know that he can play great tennis. I knew it was going to be a tough match and I’m just happy to be through right now.”
Millman, the world No.55, had been chasing a first win at the fourth attempt at Roland Garros, and the second top-five win of his career following his victory against Roger Federer at last year’s US Open.
“It’s disappointing, because I feel like there’s a lot of people in the draw I would’ve beaten,” Millman said.
“And if you get the right draw … it’s about going a bit longer and deeper in these tournaments.”
Millman revealed he had been playing the clay swing with torn ligaments in his little toe, and he had considered skipping the clay swing altogether.
Aussie results – day 3:
* Taylor Fritz (USA) d Bernard Tomic 6-1 6-4 6-1
* 5-Alexander Zverev (GER) d John Millman 7-6 (7-4) 6-3 2-6 6-7 (7-5) 6-3
* Jordan Thompson d Alejandro Davidovich Fokina (ESP) 6-3 6-2 7-6 (7-3)
* Priscilla Hon d Timea Babos (HUN) 3-6 6-2 6-1
* Aleksandra Krunic (SRB) d Daria Gavrilova 6-3 2-2 (ret)
* Gregoire Barrerre (FRA) d Matt Ebden 6-3 5-7 7-5 6-1
* 3-Simona Halep (ROU) d Ajla Tomljanovic 6-2 3-6 6-1
Aussies in action – day 4:
* 21-Alex de Minaur v Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP)
* Alexei Popyrin v 31-Laslo Djere (SRB).