Melbourne, 13 December 2010 | Tennis Australia
Bernard Tomic has withdrawn from the Australian Open Play-off.
The talented 18-year-old, currently ranked world No.208, was seeded No.6 in the tournament which grants a wildcard into the main draw of the Australian Open to the winner in both the men’s and women’s event.
Although the Play-off commences tomorrow the seeded male players have a first round bye, with Tomic not scheduled to play until the second round on Wednesday. He was to meet the winner of the first round match between Jarryd Easton (Qld) and Mark Verryth (Vic).
Tomic has informed organisers he is ill and won’t be able to play.
“The rules of the tournament require that Bernard present us with a doctor’s certificate to confirm that he is not well enough to play,” AO Play-off Tournament Director Mark Handley said. “He has done that.”
“The late withdrawal of Bernard Tomic means we will have to make immediate changes to the draw and schedule of play,” Tournament Referee, Wayne McKewen said.
“James Lemke will move into the No.6 seed position vacated by Tomic, with the first alternate, Andrew Whittington (Vic), moving into Lemke’s place.”
The AO Play-off commences tomorrow, Tuesday 14 December, and selected matches will be streamed live on http://live.tennis.com.au.
First up on the TV court will be top seed Alicia Molik (Vic) against Jade Hopper (Qld), followed by No.3 seed Jelena Dokic and Viktorija Rajicic. Second seed Sophie Ferguson (NSW) faces Monika Wejnert (Qld) and former world No.1 junior Jason Kubler (Qld) meets the winner of last week’s Optus 18s Championships Sean Berman (Vic).
The full revised order of play is attached and can be viewed on www.tennis.com.au. Go to tournaments, December Showdown, and AO Play-off.
This year the men’s event at the Play-off will be a knockout tournament, while the women will compete in a round robin format before moving into a knockout phase from the quarterfinals.