Tennis West is pleased to announce new appointments to the Tennis West Competitions and Leagues Committee.
The Board Competition and League charter delegates authority and decision making for Competitions, including Tournaments to the new Competitions and Leagues Committee. The Committee has responsibilities which include:
- Scheduling and delivering leagues and tournaments,
- Reviewing the Rules of Competition,
- Effective communication with clubs and players,
- Ensuring there are opportunities for a broad range of participants.
The Board of Tennis West accepted nominations to the Competitions Committee in line with the new Charter, forming a team of seven including:
- Chair – Tennis West Board Director
- 2 (Two) Tennis West Competition and League team members
- 4 (Four) committee members.
The four committee members were required to be either a member of an affiliated club, an accredited coach, or an accredited official possessing a broad knowledge of leagues and competitions. The level of application received for the competitions and league committee was incredibly strong.
The Competitions and League Committee now comprises:
- Chair – Colin Napier (Tennis West Board Director)
- Loretta Hughes and Deanne Maloney (Tennis West Competition and League team members)
- Rhys McDougall (Mt Lawley Tennis Coach, State League player, Tournament Director, Australia O/35 representative, seniors experience, junior coaching experience)
- Danielle Honore (Member of Blue Gum Park Tennis Club, Former WA State Girls representative, Division 1 Ladies league player, Seniors ladies tournament player, parent of Junior State League player)
- Nick Ognenis (Alexander Park TC Membership Director, experienced child educator, Midweek, Seniors and Division 2 playing experience)
- Paul Hemsley (Former East Fremantle TC President, former State League player and current Division 1 player)
The criteria used to determine the makeup of the new committee was:
- Club Office Bearer experience
- League Co-ordinator experience
- Tournament Director experience
- Club Official experience
- Regional Tennis club experience
- High Performance playing experience
- Div 2 or below playing experience
- Midweek League experience
- Seniors Tennis experience
- Tennis Coach experience
- Junior Tennis experience
- TW Committee experience
- Females in Tennis experience
The Competition and League Committee now has greater decision making powers regarding competitions and leagues in WA.
We encourage all club presidents, club captains, club league coordinators, coaches, players to engage in open and productive dialogue with the C&L committee members in order to articulate competition and league ideas and recommendations.