“I feel I came into the Saisai match a little more relaxed than I would have if I didn't play Kiki two hours before, so I think it helped. But obviously I wish it wasn't three matches in a day (smiling).”
— Ajla Tomljanovic, 14 Sep 2019
» Tomljanovic to face Pliskova in Zhengzhou semis
- started playing tennis at age seven
- favourite shot is backhand and favourite surface is hard
- trained during her teenage years at the Evert Tennis Academy in Boca Raton, Florida
- best tennis memory was her first experience on court with Chris Evert
- career goal is to be ranked No.1 in the world
- upset No.3 seed Agnieszka Radwanska en route to the fourth round at Roland Garros in 2014
- reached first career WTA final in Pattaya City, Thailand in 2015
- missed most of 2016 with a shoulder injury; made a triumphant return in 2017 with an upset win over World No.13 Elena Vesnina at the Miami Open
- speaks Croatian, English and German
- family includes father Ratko, mother Emina and sister Hana
- also has family in the United States; favourite city to visit is Charlotte, North Carolina, where they live
- favorite movie is The Hangover and favourite actor is Robert Pattinson
- enjoys watching other sports including basketball and football
- enjoys hip hop music; Beyonce is her favourite artist
Year-end rankings history
2013 Dothan ITF
2011 Clearwater ITF, Grado ITF
2010 Plantation ITF
2018 Rabat WTA, Seoul WTA
2017 Sacramento ITF
2015 Pattaya City WTA
2013 Innsbrook ITF, Midland ITF, Macon ITF, Merida 3 ITF
2011 Jackson ITF
2010 Pelham ITF, Prague ITF
2009 Puebla ITF
Ajla Tomljanovic in the news
Priscilla Hon joins Ajla Tomljanovic in the main draw in Seoul, while Sam Stosur has been awarded a wildcard into the WTA event in Guangzhou.
Ajla Tomljanovic's tournament in Zhengzhou ends in the semifinals with a straight-sets loss to top seed and world No.2 Karolina Pliskova.
In an impressive effort, Ajla Tomljanovic wins two singles matches in one day to advance to the last four of the rain-affected WTA tournament in Zhengzhou, China.
Ajla Tomljanovic advances to her fifth WTA quarterfinal of 2019 after a straight sets win over world No.8 Kiki Bertens at the Zhengzhou Open.