Hobart wildcard for rising star Fourlis
Exciting teenaged talent Jaimee Fourlis will return to the Hobart International for the second year running as the recipient of a main-draw wildcard.
Rising Australian star Jaimee Fourlis has received a main draw wildcard into Hobart International 2018.
The 18-year-old from Melbourne is set to make her second main draw appearance in Hobart, having made her WTA debut at the event in 2017.
“It feels amazing, I’m really pumped to be going back to Hobart,” Fourlis said.
“I played my first ever WTA tournament there last year, it was also my first time in Hobart and I loved every minute of it.
“I was over the moon when I found out, I had the biggest smile on my face when they called me to tell me I had gotten the main draw wildcard, I was very happy.”
Fourlis is set for a big January, having also earned an Australian Open 2018 main-draw wildcard after winning the 18/u Australian Championships earlier this month.
“It’s a great way for me to prepare for the AO,” Fourlis said of competing in Hobart.
“Last year I had a great match against [Kirsten] Flipkens, it was a really tough match but I had some great learnings from it.
“There will be some high quality girls playing this year and I know that I will definitely have to be on-top of my game to do well.
“Hobart is really nice. There’s a great atmosphere, the people are lovely and it’s a really beautiful place to play… Hopefully it’ll help provide me with the best preparation before the Australian Open.”
Fourlis set a career-high ranking of No.271 during 2017 and made her French Open debut, where she pushed former world No.1 Caroline Wozniacki to three sets in the first round after winning the Australian wildcard play-off.
“Jaimee has had an amazing 2017 and is a very deserving wildcard recipient,” Hobart International Tournament Director Darren Sturgess said.
“The tournament has a proud history of providing a launch pad for young Australian players and this is another great opportunity for Jaimee to challenge herself against some of the world’s best.
“We encourage all sports fans to get down to Domain Tennis Centre from Sunday 7 January to cheer her on.”
Fourlis joins a strong line-up, which includes recently announced wildcard Eugenie Bouchard (CAN), defending champion Elise Mertens (BEL) and former title winners Alize Cornet (FRA) and Mona Barthel (GER) for the 25th edition of Hobart International in 2018.
Top 40 stars Zhang Shuai (CHN) and Sorana Cirstea (ROU) will also compete.
Hobart International 2018 is proudly supported by the Tasmanian Government through Events Tasmania. For more information visit eventstasmania.com.au.
Tickets are now on sale via Ticketek or by calling 1300 888 104.
For all tournament information please visit hobartinternational.com.au.