Kyrgios secures second-round berth in New York
Despite injury problems in the first set, Nick Kyrgios was nonetheless able to seal a straight-sets win over Aljaz Bedene in the opening round at Flushing Meadows.
Nick Kyrgios says he fears no one after letting his racquet do the talking to storm into the second round of the US Open in New York.
Australia’s colourful top-ranked tennis star smoked Aljaz Bedene in straight sets at Flushing Meadows.
Kyrgios overcame a troublesome hip and an early confrontation with the chair umpire to blast past the Brit 6-4 6-4 6-4 in less than two hours on Tuesday night.
During a snap, two-minute Twitter Q&A on the eve of the tournament, Kyrgios teased fans that he’d walk away from tennis – at just 21 – if he won the title on Sunday week.
“If I won the US open now u (sic) would never see me again,” the 14th seed at Flushing Meadows said.
Kyrgios is now six wins away after backing up his banter with an impressive opening to his campaign.
The two-time major quarterfinalist fired down 14 aces and thumped 43 winners in booking a second-round date on Thursday with Argentine Horacio Zeballos.
“I’m really pleased with that one. He’s a good competitor. He makes a lot of balls. He’s not going to give it to you,” Kyrgios said.
“I was nursing a little bit of an injury, and how I responded was really well.”
Unlike last year, when he drew Andy Murray in the first round, Kyrgios can’t possibly meet his Grand Slam nemesis until the quarterfinals.
“My head space last year wasn’t the greatest,” he said.
“I was obviously going through a lot of stuff last year through that whole Montreal (sledging) thing.
“I’m seeded 14 here, so I won’t meet Murray until I’m a hell of a lot further through the draw.
“I feel comfortable in general on the tennis court. I feel more comfortable in my game against whoever I play.
“I know what I can do on the tennis court. I have beaten quality players. I’m not afraid of these guys, but I’m aware they all can play some really good tennis.”