- Born30 March 1984
- Birth PlaceBrisbane, Queensland
- LivesGold Coast, Queensland
- Height172 cm
- CoachJosh Eagle
- Pro Since1999
“So I'm kind of just each day making sure I'm hitting, doing what I need to be ready when I get over there. I'm not stressed out if I'm not hitting the ball amazing here, because it makes no difference (laughter).”
— Samantha Stosur, 14 Aug 2019
» Stosur receives US Open wildcard
- Started playing tennis aged eight when a friend gave her a racquet for Christmas
- Practiced with her brother, Daniel, who upon realising she had talent, convinced their parents, Dianne and Tony, to pay for coaching
- Went on her first tour aged 13, competing in the World Youth Cup in Jakarta, Indonesia
- Made her Fed Cup debut in 2003; Australian Olympic team debut in 2004
- Reached the No.1 ranking in doubles in February 2006 having claimed a series of titles – including US Open 2005 – with Lisa Raymond
- Contracted Lyme disease in 2007 and, having spent 61 consecutive weeks ranked as the No.1 doubles player in the world, was forced to end her season prematurely. Missed eight months.
- Claimed her maiden WTA title in Osaka in 2009
- Became the first player in a decade to beat Justine Henin and Serena Williams at the same Grand Slam event – ending Henins’s 27-match winning streak in Paris – en route to her first Grand Slam final at Roland Garros in 2010.
- Won her first major title at US Open 2011, beating Serena Williams 6-2 6-3 in the final
- In 2013, won the Carlsbad and Osaka trophies, making it the first time she had ever won multiple WTA titles in a single season
- Defended a WTA title for the first time in her career in 2014, when she captured the Osaka crown, marking her third victory at the Japanese event
- In 2016 advanced to the Roland Garros semifinals for the fourth time
- Since October 2008, was Australia’s No.1-ranked female for an incredible 452 straight weeks before Daria Gavrilova took over in June 2017.
- Sporting hero is surfer Layne Beachley.
- When she’s not playing tennis, Sam enjoys spending time at the beach and relaxing.
- Her favourite sports team is the Gold Coast Titans.
Year-end singles ranking history
2015 Strasbourg, Bad Gastein
2013 Carlsbad, Osaka
2011 US Open
2001 Ibaraki ITF, Osaka ITF, Kyoto ITF, Cairns ITF
2013 Moscow, WTA Tournament of Champions
2012 Doha, Moscow
2011 Rome, Toronto, Osaka
2010 Stuttgart, Roland Garros
2009 Los Angeles
2005 Gold Coast, Sydney
2002 Rockhampton ITF
2001 Australia ITF, Kugayama ITF
Samantha Stosur in the news
Twelve Australian players feature in the main draw at this year's US Open. We look at their form coming in and the draws they've been dealt.
John Millman draws Rafael Nadal in the first round of the US Open, while No.2 seed Ash Barty opens against Zarina Diyas.
Alexei Popyrin and John Millman will play at this week's ATP hard court event in Winston Salem ahead of next week's US Open, while 16 Aussies will contest qualifying at…
Sam Stosur, the US Open champion in 2011, has been awarded a main-draw wildcard and will contest her 15th tournament at Flushing Meadows.