“We gave everything today. We fell just a fraction short. That happens.”
— Alicia Molik, 10 Nov 2019
» Molik on Fed Cup final: “We gave everything today”
- Started playing tennis at age of seven after watching her older brother, Richard.
- Captured the Australian Open junior doubles title in 1998, partnering fellow Australian Evie Dominikovic.
- Member of the Australian Institute of Sport scholarship program in 1999.
- Broke into the world’s top 100 in 1999.
- Member of the Australian team competing at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.
- Captured her maiden career singles title in Hobart in 2003, beating Amy Frazier in the final.
- Claimed three WTA titles in 2004 – in Stockholm, Zurich and Luxembourg.
- Reached the Wimbledon and US Open mixed doubles finals in 2004, partnering Australian doubles legend Todd Woodbridge.
- Won a bronze medal for Australia in singles at the 2004 Athens Olympics.
- Broke into the world’s top 10 in 2005.
- Won her first Grand Slam doubles title at the 2005 Australian Open with partner Svetlana Kuznetsova
- Won the French Open doubles in 2007, partnering Mara Santangelo.
- Reached the Wimbledon mixed doubles final in 2007, partnering Swede Jonas Bjorkman.
- Competed for Australia at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
- Member of the Australian Federation Cup team from 1999-2004, 2006-08 and 2010.
- Retired in September 2008 following elbow ligament damage, however launched a comeback 12 months later.
- Represented Australia in the Fed Cup, as well as making a return to the top 100 since re-joining the tour.
- Gave birth in January 2012 and hasn’t played competitively since.
- Was named Fed Cup captain in January 2013 following Dave Taylor’s resignation in December 2012.
- Parents are Andrew and Teresa.
- Favourite city is Melbourne (for the shopping).
- Hobbies include golf, in-line skating, bike riding, squash and going to the beach and football games.
- Favourite musicians are U2, Kylie Minogue, Coldplay and Robbie Williams.
- Favourite cuisines are Thai and Japanese, and she appreciates good red wine.
- Pet is a West-Highland terrier.
Year-end singles ranking history
2009 Darwin ITF, Kalgoorlie ITF, Bendigo ITF
2004 Stockholm, Zürich, Luxembourg
2001 Gifu ITF, Fukuoka ITF
1999 Gold Coast ITF
1998 Saga ITF, Queensland ITF
2009 Port Pirie ITF, Esperance ITF
2003 Sarasota, Budapest
2002 Nurlootpa ITF
2001 Stone Mountain, USA ITF
1999 Fresno ITF
Alicia Molik in the news
Alicia Molik says she has “no regrets” about how the Australian team prepared and performed in the Fed Cup final, but that the loss to France “hurts a lot”.
Ash Barty hopes victory over Kristina Mladenovic in the first of the reverse singles will put Australia on course for its first Fed Cup title in 45 years.
With the entire Australian squad having now practised together, Fed Cup captain Alicia Molik is encouraged by the hosts’ form ahead of this weekend’s final.
Australian Fed Cup debutant Ajla Tomljanovic continues her preparations with the team in Perth ahead of this weekend's final against France.