Kerber, Muguruza to kick off 2017 in Brisbane
World No.1 and defending Australian Open champion Angelique Kerber and reigning Roland Garros champ Garbine Muguruza are headed to Brisbane in 2017.
World No.1 and two-time Grand Slam champion Angelique Kerber (GER) will return to the Brisbane International presented by Suncorp in January 2017.
Kerber began 2016 in Brisbane and reached the final, a run which proved the perfect preparation for her maiden Grand Slam win at the Australian Open.
She cemented her place at the top of the women’s game by winning the US Open earlier this month.
“I am extremely excited to be heading back to Brisbane in 2017. It is such a great tournament and the best way to start the summer of tennis in Australia,” Kerber said.
“For me, Brisbane kick started the best season of my career this year. You have to play tournaments that will prepare you for the big moments, which for me, was winning the Australian Open and going on to be the No.1 player in the world.”
Joining Kerber in the women’s draw will be 2016 French Open champion Garbine Muguruza (ESP).
Muguruza is currently ranked No.3 in the world and is excited to return to Brisbane.
“I can’t wait to return to Brisbane this summer! It is such a great tournament, the fans, the facilities and the weather are all amazing. For me it’s the perfect way to start the year,’ Muguruza said.
Kerber is looking to secure her first Brisbane crown, after going down in the 2016 final to Victoria Azarenka (BLR).
Muguruza is also hoping for a better result in Brisbane this summer, after a foot injury forced her out of the second round in 2016.
The 22-year-old will be joined by her countryman, Rafael Nadal (ESP), who is set to headline the men’s field.
Brisbane International Tournament Director Geoff Quinlan is delighted both Kerber and Muguruza are returning to Brisbane.
“Angelique and Garbine are two of the most exciting players in women’s tennis right now, and I can’t wait to welcome them back to the Queensland Tennis Centre,” he said.
“To have two out of the world’s top three women play at the Brisbane International is great news for tennis fans in Queensland. The top players love coming here – and for fans, it’s one of the best ways to see them up-close and personal in one of the world’s best arenas.
“There’s so much to look forward to at the BI in 2017. We’ve already signed the most electric player in the men’s game – Rafael Nadal – and have more top players to announce in the coming weeks.”
Minister for Tourism and Major Events Kate Jones said securing world No.1 Angelique Kerber provided another fantastic incentive for tennis fans to visit Queensland.
“It’s great to welcome Angelique back to Brisbane in 2017 following a sensational year and now as the current World No.1,” Minister Jones said.
“The Brisbane International continues to deliver a world-class tournament with high profile players such as Angelique and Rafael Nadal, raising the tournament’s profile, showcasing our state to an international audience and bringing thousands of fans to Queensland.”
Brisbane International 2017, presented by Suncorp and supported by Tourism and Events Queensland, will be held at Queensland Tennis Centre from 1-8 January.
The tournament is part of the Emirates Australian Open Series, which also incorporates Hopman Cup (Perth), Apia International Sydney, Hobart International and World Tennis Challenge (Adelaide).
Multi-session packages will go on sale through Ticketek from Wednesday 5 October 2016. All tickets will go on sale from Wednesday 12 October 2016. Please visit Ticketek for more information.
For all tournament information please visit brisbaneinternational.com.au.