Defeat won’t change Hewitt’s Open lead-up plans
Lleyton Hewitt won't consider a late entry into next week's Sydney International despite his first round exit from the Brisbane International on Tuesday.
Lleyton Hewitt won’t consider a late entry into next week’s Sydney International despite his first round exit from the Brisbane International on Tuesday.
Hewitt’s defence of the Brisbane crown lasted just one match as he was outgunned by fellow Australian Sam Groth 6-2 6-4 at Pat Rafter Arena.
It means the 33-year-old veteran will start his 19th Australian Open campaign later this month with just one competitive singles match in 2015 under his belt.
The ex-world No.1 is still in the doubles section of the Brisbane event with Chris Guccione and will play in a pair of exhibition matches in Sydney next week, including a FAST4 match-up against Swiss great Roger Federer.
Hewitt says he doesn’t feel he’ll enter the Australian Open underdone however and won’t be seeking any additional matches before the grand slam gets underway on January 19.
“I’m happy with those matches,” he said.
“All my practice sets have been first class … I’ve got to still try and stay as positive as can be.
“I won here last year and then lost first round in the Open, so it’d be nice if I go and do a bit better in the Open and lose first round here.”
Hewitt’s loss will cause his world ranking to drop as well heading into the opening grand slam of the year.
But considering the two-time grand slam champion is already down at 84 on the world rankings any change won’t have an affect on his draw at Melbourne Park.