US Open: Azarenka named top women’s seed
Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka will be seeded No.1 at next week's US Open, with Australian defending champ Sam Stosur at No.7.
Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka will be seeded No.1 at next week’s US Open, with 2006 champion Maria Sharapova at No.3 and three-time winner Serena Williams at No.4.
The US Tennis Association announced the seedings on Wednesday, strictly following this week’s WTA rankings.
Azarenka, who won the Australian Open in January, is followed by No.2 Agnieszka Radwanska, the runner-up to Williams at Wimbledon last month.
Defending US Open champion Sam Stosur is seeded seventh, and three-time winner Kim Clijsters is No.23.
Venus Williams, who won the Open in 2000 and 2001, is ranked 47th and is unseeded.
The top 32 seeds for the 2012 US Open are as follows:
1. Victoria Azarenka, Belarus
2. Agnieszka Radwanska, Poland
3. Maria Sharapova, Russia
4. Serena Williams, United States
5. Petra Kvitova, Czech Republic
6. Angelique Kerber, Germany
7. Samantha Stosur, Australia
8. Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark
9. Li Na, China
10. Sara Errani, Italy
11. Marion Bartoli, France
12. Ana Ivanovic, Serbia
13. Dominika Cibulkova, Slovakia
14. Maria Kirilenko, Russia
15. Lucie Safarova, Czech Republic
16. Sabine Lisicki, Germany
17. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Russia
18. Julia Goerges, Germany
19. Nadia Petrova, Russia
20. Roberta Vinci, Italy
21. Christina McHale, United States
22. Francesca Schiavone, Italy
23. Kim Clijsters, Belgium
24. Klara Zakopalova, Czech Republic
25. Yanina Wickmayer, Belgium
26. Monica Niculescu, Romania
27. Anabel Medina Garrigues, Spain
28. Petra Cetkovska, Czech Republic
29. Jie Zheng, China
30. Tamira Paszek, Austria
31. Jelena Jankovic, Serbia
32. Varvara Lepchenko, United States