The below message was sent via email to all Tennis Victoria affiliates and Victorian Tennis Australia Coach Members on 26 March 2020.
To the Tennis Victoria Community; our Members, Clubs, Volunteers, Associations, Coaches and Venue Operators,
Recommendation to cease, temporarily, tennis activity in Victoria
With the continued escalation of social isolation measures in Victoria and following consultation with the tennis community and Government, Tennis Victoria is recommending that as soon as is practically possible for your club or coaching business:
- All tennis programmes and coaching be cancelled, including one on one coaching, until further notice
- All club, association and social play be cancelled until further notice
- All tennis clubs and centres close until further notice
This decision has been incredibly difficult. We know our community loves our sport and that many people are looking for ways to remain fit and active whilst adhering to very strict social distancing guidelines. We are also acutely aware that this recommendation will impact the livelihood of our excellent tennis coaches. However, we are also clear that health and wellbeing must be our priority at this time.
Tennis Victoria staff are working remotely to limit contact but are all still available to support you through this challenge:
- Information and resources to support coaches will be sent to all Tennis Australia Coach Members individually and our Coaching Leaders are available when required.
- Your Tennis Victoria representative is available for volunteers and we will remain in contact as we try and work our way through this together.
The infection rates of this virus vary substantially across all states and territories and as such the recommendation to cease tennis activity temporarily is for Victoria only at this stage. Tennis Australia will continue to work with the state tennis bodies to ensure compliance with the different Federal and State Government recommendations. The current Community Tennis Guidelines for Continued Play are still relevant for all states and territories outside of Victoria.
We are exploring all appropriate options for resuming tennis in a safe way when health officials deem it appropriate. This pandemic and these exceptional circumstances will pass and we want to work with our partners to ensure tennis is back bigger and better than ever.
This is a challenging time for everyone, please stay home and stay safe.
Prof. Emma Sherry (President, Tennis Victoria) and Ruth Holdaway (Chief Executive, Tennis Victoria)