Regional Academies of Sport
Tennis Victoria in partnership with the Victorian Institute of Sport and Sport and Recreation Victoria, supports emerging elite athletes from country Victoria through the Regional Academy of Sport network.
Tennis Victoria provides resources and works closely with the Regional Academy network across country Victoria to deliver tennis programs and a pathway that complement each athletes existing weekly programs with their private coach in their local environment.
There are 6 Regional Academies of Sport in Victoria. They are Barwon, Bendigo, Gippsland, Southwest in Warrnambool, Sunraysia in Mildura, West Vic in Ballarat and a seventh program, Tennis Victoria’s own North-East Tennis Program in Wodonga.
Each Academy has a catchment area that is aligned with Tennis Victoria’s 11 country tennis regions and uses the local regional council boundaries (refer map for these Academy catchment areas and boundaries). Victoria players are aligned to an Academy catchment area based upon where they reside. For players residing in NSW (e.g. Albury, Moama or Barham), players will be aligned to the Academy catchment that the players’ Victorian Tennis club is within.
Each Academy tennis program has up to 18 athletes aged 12 to 18 years of age. All players must be a registered player with a tennis club or centre in Victoria.
- 2017 Regional Academy of Sport schedule
- 2017 Inter-Academy Challenge flyer
- 2018 Regional Academy of Sport schedule
- 2018 Regional Academy of Sport FAQ
View the Regional Academy of Sport catchment areas below.
Academy athlete positions are offered to athletes for a full calendar year and are invitation only (either by direct invitation or through an athlete selection trial day). The Academy tennis programs are delivered by Tennis Victoria’s network of Regional Academy State coaches and provide a range of benefits including:
- Regular 1 day training camps (1 per Term, usually on a Sunday) delivered by the Tennis Victoria Regional State coach
- Individual muscular-skeletal screening
- Individual strength and conditioning program
- Academy uniform and resources
- Range of sports science presentations including nutrition and mental skills training
- Tournament support from Regional Academy State coaches at two selected Junior Tour AR tournaments
- Opportunity to be part of Tennis Victoria’s Tournament Tours to inter-state ITF Junior tournaments (subject to age and tournament eligibility).
- Annual Inter-Academy Challenge weekend held at Melbourne Park (usually in early October)
- Opportunity to be part of Tennis Victoria’s Player Support Program (subject to age and Australian Ranking eligibility).
|Doug Hill||Sunraysia and South West||[email protected]||0412 540 687|
|Christoffer Madsen||North East||[email protected]||0421697350|
|Nik Ortika||Barwon||[email protected]||0402 273 122|
|Matthew Hicks||Bendigo and Gippsland||[email protected]||0420 516 595|
|Andrew Cameron||West Vic||[email protected]||0414 827 437|