Two Wells District TC

Our History

The first tennis club in Two Wells began in 1909. 
With no records of where the original courts were located, the new courts in 1930 were those that were current until 1990 on the main street next to the bowling club.
 
 
Today the tennis courts are located west of the football oval on the hill behind the bowling club.
In 1946 the tennis club met trouble over the question of playing tennis on Sundays, which resulted in a division of the clubs into the Saints and the Sinners.
 
 
The two clubs ran separately for approximately 27 years. The Saints were the Two Wells Tennis Club and the Sinners became the District Tennis Club which in 1962 became the Two Wells District Tennis Club Incorporated after purchasing the land on which their courts were situated for 200 pounds.
 
 
In 1967, the Saints club went into recession and the Sinners took over the council owned courts in the main street. Tennis thrived for many years with 60 senior and over 100 junior members. Sadly tennis declined in the late 2000’s and the club was due for closure. Locals rallied and formed a crisis committee in 2010, fundraising to repay debts and bring the club back to financial security. Since then, junior tennis has continued to grow with the introduction of Hot Shots for Juniors and affiliation with Tennis SA and the Gawler Tennis Association.
 
 
Two Wells District Tennis Club was awarded the Winner of the Most Outstanding Tennis Club- Rural in 2016/2017 and continues to grow from strength to strength.
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling