Bairnsdale Tennis Club

History

The Bairnsdale Tennis Club is located in East Gippsland and was formed in 1901.

Newspaper records indicate the Club came into being just two weeks prior to its sponsoring neighbour, Bairnsdale Bowls Club. Originally having two courts located elsewhere in the same block as exists today, the club acquired new land and has now grown to 18 courts.

Previously also know as the Bairnsdale Methodist Club, at a public meeting in 1947 it was voted to move the club to its existing location. Whilst natural grass courts were seen as a desirable surface, the club proceeded with the installation of two banks of 4 en tout cas courts for £210 on land which could ultimately accommodate a further 10 courts.
The club played an internal competition on a Saturday afternoon in the summer, with regular intertown matches throughout the region, and has conducted its three day Labour Day Weekend tournament since 1948.

Over the years 2 courts were lit on the second bank in front of the clubhouse, and a third bank of 5 natural grass courts were installed and maintained by members for pennant. A fourth bank of natural grass was roughly maintained and used as a basic introduction to new juniors.

In 1979 the club installed 5 plexipave courts on its fourth bank to accommodate the growing number of juniors making a wonderful sight with 18 courts in use.

In 1987 the club installed 5 en tout cas courts over its third grass bank after maintenance became too much. In the same year a new lighting system was installed on the eight courts of the first two banks of courts.

After major renovations to the original clubhouse in 1992, it was felt the club was approaching completion.

The club continued to enjoy expansion in membership and in 1998 undertook the resurfacing of the third and fourth banks into 10 synthetic grass courts from Grass Manufacturers Pty Ltd.

In 2000 the original 8 en tout cas courts were resurfaced with the new innovative Classic Clay courts by the same manufacturer.

These proved so popular with members the remaining 10 synthetic grass courts were resurfaced with Classic Clay in 2002, making Bairnsdale Tennis Club the largest complex of its type in Australia.

In 2003 a new relationship has been forged with its neighbour Bairnsdale Bowls Club, which has recently opened its $1m renovated venue.

Our Committees of Management foresee a grand future of growth for both clubs.

It is hoped the history back to 1901 will be prepared in due course.