“I’ve been playing some really good tennis in the last couple of months. Even in practice I definitely notice that my level has improved so I knew a result wasn’t too far off.”
— Olivia Rogowska, 16 Oct 2016
» Rogowska breaks drought to claim Cairns title
- Started playing tennis aged five when father, Slavek, introduced her to the game.
- First realised she was good enough to become pro when she won her first $25,000 ITF title
- Secured that maiden ITF title in 2008 at Sorrento, aged 17
- Made here Grand Slam debut at the 2009 Australian Open as a wildcard
- Scored her first win over a top 50 WTA player, beating Maria Kirilenko in the first round of French Open 2009
- Achieved a top 200 WTA ranking in 2009, following impressive ITF Futures results
- Her dream is to play at all the Grand Slams tournaments
- Favourite shot is her backhand
- Favourite surface is clay
- Says the toughest opponent she’s faced is Li Na
- Match she most wishes she could replay would be her 2009 US Open first round loss to world No.1 Dinara Safina (Rogowska lost 6-7(5) 6-2 6-4)
- Speaks English and Polish
- Player she most admires is former former world No.1 Steffi Graf
- Favourite AFL team is St Kilda Football Club
- Hobbies include playing the piano, soccer, practising yoga and reading
- Favourite actor is Adam Sandler.
- Favourite type of music is dance.
- Her mother is Joanna and she has a sister, Sylvia.
Year-end singles ranking history
2016 Cairns ITF
2014 Launceston ITF, Sacramento ITF
2012 Burnie ITF, Rockhampton ITF, Esperance ITF
2011 Alice Springs ITF, Port Pirie ITF
2010 Darwin ITF
2009 Esperance ITF
2008 Sorrento ITF
2015 Campinas ITF
2013 Landisville ITF
2012 Sydney ITF, Port Pirie ITF, Margaret River ITF, Bendigo ITF
2011 Bundaberg ITF
2009 Kalgoorlie ITF, Bundaberg ITF
Olivia Rogowska in the news
Marc Polmans, Omar Jasika and Alex De Minaur all enjoyed big ranking improvements this week, while James Duckworth crept closer to a top 100 return.
Daria Gavrilova has cemented an Australian Open seeding and is closing in on the top 20, Zhuhai and the Aussie No.1 ranking after her run to the final in Moscow.
Olivia Rogowska has defeated Slovakian Viktoria Kuzmova in straight sets to win the Cairns Tennis International.
Last year's Australian Open wildcard winner Maddison Inglis is learning to adjust to the weight of expectation, and it's showing this week in Cairns.