- Played AFL until the age 13, however, decided to pursue a tennis career.
- Ranked No.1 Australian in the Under-18 division in 1996.
- Captured the Under-18 Australian National Grasscourt title in 1996.
- Qualified for the 1997 Australian Open aged 15 years and 11 months, the youngest in the tournament’s history.
- Won the 1998 Adelaide ATP event, becoming the lowest ranked winner in ATP history to do so at world No.550.
- Member of the Australian 1999 Davis Cup winning team that defeated France 3-2 in the final.
- Finished 2000 as the No.1 ranked Australian.
- First teenager to qualify for the Tennis Masters Cup in 2000.
- Won his first Grand Slam doubles title at the 2000 US Open.
- Youngest player, and first Australian, to finish the year ranked No.1 on the ATP World Rankings in 2001.
- Claimed his career-best sixth title of year at the Tennis Masters Cup in Sydney in 2001.
- Won his first Grand Slam title at the US Open in 2001, defeating Pete Sampras in straight sets in the final.
- Secured his maiden Wimbledon crown, defeating Argentinean David Nalbandian in the 2002 final.
- Won four ATP titles in 2004, including the 20th of his career at the Sydney International.
- Reached his first Australian Open final in 2005, losing to Marat Safin in four sets.
- Represented Australia at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- Took three months off to recover from a hip ailment following his third-round exit from Australian Open 2010.
- Claimed the 2010 Halle title in Germany, defeating Roger Federer in the final.
- Represented Australia at the 2012 London Olympics.
- Has won more Davis Cup rubbers than any other Australian Davis Cup player.
- Favourite food is Japanese.
- Favourite band is Cold Chisel.
- Enjoys spending time with his family and friends.
- Married his wife Rebecca in 2005. They have three children.
- One day hopes to captain the Australian Davis Cup team.
- Devout Adelaide Crows fan and his sporting hero is Tyson Edwards of the Crows. Plays Australian Rules recreationally.
- Good friend of Aussie golfers Greg Norman and Aaron Baddeley.
- Caddied for Greg Norman at Australian PGA event.
- Supports many children’s charitable foundations in Australia.
- His father, Glynn, is a former Aussie Rules Football player and his mother, Cherilyn, was a physical education teacher.
- Has one younger sister, Jaslyn, who was No.1 junior in Australia in 2000.
Year-end singles ranking history