Win a Wildcard – FAQs
What is the Win a Wildcard competition?
One mixed doubles wildcard into Australian Open 2016 is up for grabs. Any mixed doubles pair over the age of 16, of any tennis ability, is invited to enter one of eight qualifying tournaments to be held around Australia throughout November and December 2015.
Qualifying tournaments will feature three grades (A, B and C), with finalists of A grade invited to play the wildcard play-off in Melbourne in December. Finalists will receive a subsidy to assist with their travel and accommodation. The winning pair will receive a wildcard into Australian Open 2016 with full player benefits.
B and C grade winners are invited to attend the Australian Open where they will receive a money-can’t-buy experience.
When does the Win a Wildcard get under way?
Registrations for the Win a Wildcard competition open October 6 2015 and entries close 3 days prior to each tournament.
What are the age and ability restrictions?
- All entrants must be over the age of 16
- Each team must consist of one male and one female player
- People of all tennis and physical abilities are welcome to enter
- Everyone is welcome to participate, from amateurs to professionals
Where can I compete?
There will be eight events held around Australia throughout November and December. Please visit tennis.com.au/winawildcard to find your nearest venue.
How much does it cost to enter?
Entry is $20 per team ($10 per person).
What is the grading system?
There are three grades (A, B and C) catering to all tennis abilities.
What are the match rules?
The competition will be played using FAST4 rules, Tennis Australia’s new and exciting scoring system.
- Play Lets (in doubles either of the receiving pair can play the let)
- No AD scoring (at 3-3 “next point wins” and receivers decide which side)
- Tiebreaker at 3 games all (first to 5 points)
- 2 points serving each (starting deuce side)
- If Tiebreaker reaches 4-4 it’s “next point wins” and players spin racquet with winning pair deciding who serves; receivers decide which side.
- First to 4 games wins the match
When is the final?
The finalists of the A grade will be flown to Melbourne Park to play the finals in December during December Showdown.
If I’m not in A grade, how can I still play the Australian Open?
Winners of the B and C grades will play their final on court at Melbourne Park in the second week of Australian Open 2016.
What’s the prize?
The winning pair of A grade will receive a mixed doubles wildcard into Australian Open 2016, classifying them as official Grand Slam players. The pair will receive all player perks including:
- hotel accommodation
- tournament accreditation
- player transport and services
- access to player areas
Why sign up?
- YOU can play the Australian Open 2016.
To sign up visit tennis.com.au/winawildcard