Women’s Mid-Week Daytime Competitions
There are 2 opportunities for women to play competition tennis during the day, each week. This is organised by a group of ladies directly with Tennis ACT, not through any Tennis Club. Hence to be involved, you must contact one of the people mentioned below. To be covered for insurance purposes, you must either belong to a club or register directly with Tennis ACT. Many of the ladies who play in these competitions also play for their clubs in other weekly competitions organised by Tennis ACT.
1. Tuesday Morning. There are for 3 pennants during the year – autumn, winter and spring, with no play over the school holidays. Each pennant is divided into 2 or 3 divisions, depending on the number of entries. Play is from 9:30am until finished (around 1:30pm) and is generally at the Bel Wests, Weston Creek or Lyneham courts. Ladies are graded into teams of 4 and play 4-6 sets. On the finals day, there is also a round robin for people not playing in the finals followed by a lunch for everybody. If you are interested, please contact:
• Barbara McCluskey on 6241 4402
• Anne Haycock on 6241 5103
• Allyson Gell on 6230 2658
• Brenda Neal on 6287 3314
2. Thursday Morning. This is a round robin tournament. Games are played every second Thursday during school terms. All ladies are welcome to join. Entry is either with or without a partner. Play is from 9:30am till 12:30-1pm approx, with 4 or 5 sets of 8 games played. Morning tea and some prizes are included. For details, please contact:
• Lyn Wark on 6248 5739
• Alice Bruengger on 6162 8417.
All ladies are welcome.
Winter Pennant Finals
The final of the Ladies Mid-Week Winter competition was held at Weston Creek on Tuesday 3rd July followed by lunch at the Weston Club. It was great weather for tennis and the finals in both divisions were tightly contested. In Division 1, Allyson Gell’s team, including May Howard, Val Gavin, Vivien Meagher and Allyson, defeated Hilary Bridgen’s team consisting of Daphne Kennedy, Brenda Ford, Elizabeth Cox and Hilary even though Hilary’s team finished the rounds in top spot with Allyson’s team in third place.
Winners and runners-up in Division 1: Allyson Gell, Elizabeth Cox, Brenda Ford, May Howard and Daphne Kennedy. Absent are: Val Gavin, Vivan Meagher and Hilary Bridgen
However in Division 2, Joan Trounce’s team finished the season in first position and defeated Helen Greenup’s team which finished in 2nd place. Joan’s team included Lorraine Buckley, Luana King, Leslie Winter and Joan. Helen’s team consisted of Barbara Wilton, Dot Woodbridge, Morag Cotsall and Helen.
Division 2 winning team: Joan Trounce (captain), Luana King and Lorraine Buckley. Absent is Leslie Winter
2012 Womens Midweek Calendar
2012 Summer Pennant
Dates: 7 February – 27 March
Entries Close: 7 November
2012 Winter Pennant
Dates: 3 April - 3 July
Entries Close: 5 March
Charity Tennis Day
Date: 10 May
2012 Spring Pennant
Dates: 7 August – 20 November
Entries Close: 4 June